get high with hayley and handbuild ceramics
update: summer sessions are currently closed! check back for more lessons in the future.
SUMMER 2022 backyard sessions!
i offer private, introductory level hand-building ceramics lessons outside in my backyard in bushwick, brooklyn, new york. we will smoke weed and go through the basics of coil-building and pinch-pots with stoneware. this is a one-lesson session.
- clay, all tools, 2 hours of introductory coiling/pinching instruction
- pot smoking if you want (prerolls gifted by MEDLY)
- firing & glazing of your piece. you will pick a glaze from a list and can pick up your finished piece in 6-8 weeks.
- greta, my dog, will likely be present
monday or tuesday evening, 6-8 PM
sunday morning, 10 AM - 12 PM
$125 for 1 person / $200 for 2 people
$295 for 3 people / $385 for 4 people
sliding scale for marginalized people who may not be able to afford the full price is available starting at increments of $70 per person (i.e. $140 for 2 people, $210 for 3 people, etc.)
i also graciously accept tips
- my backyard is on ground level and there is one small step into the garden's gravel. let me know if you use a wheelchair or require assistance on gravel, and i can move the table to the pavement.
- unfortunately the bathroom is not wheelchair accessible. there are 2.5 sets of stairs to climb to my apartment.
- clay is messy, so please wear clothes you can get dirty. ceramics often produce dust, so please bring a face mask if you'd like.
- this is a dog-friendly environment/space.
- please feel free to bring extra bugspray and/or sunscreen if you prefer.
- please use the calendly booking link at the bottom right corner of this page
- please send payment using the instructions on calendly. a class is only confirmed once payment has been sent and lesson is scheduled through calendly
- if you choose to pay by paypal, i kindly request that you send payment through "friends and family" to avoid a fee for both of us
- i am currently unable to provide refunds once a class is booked, however, i am happy to reschedule up to 24 hours in advance
- RAINCHECKS: if it rains, we can reschedule up to 12 hours in advance. if you don't want to reschedule, we can have a indoors session in my apartment.
"what a fun afternoon hang! get high & hand build with hayley elevates the sip & sketch idea to a welcome next-level of cozy, tactile, laid-back fun. hayley’s really easy to communicate with before and after the hang. it’s like having a mini class but with the energy of a clothing swap or a craft night with a friend. she’s also great at explaining what to do if you get stuck. i made something super whacky that i love and will cherish for a long time. her presence definitely helped me make it happen." -katie c.
"Hayley is a patient and fun teacher! She helped me make all my weird pottery ideas come to life, even though I have limited ceramics experience. Her handbuilding classes are relaxing and a unique way to get creative." -emma g. (2x student)
"The hand building session with Hayley was one of the most soothing afternoons I’ve had this winter! She welcomed us into her home and walked us through the basics while answering all our questions and encouraging the different directions we took with our pieces. Greta was so sweet to have around and kept the mood playful. It made pottery much less intimidating than I expected. I left feeling proud of myself and reminded of my ability to make something that can be both cute and useful." -melat h.
"Hayley provided a warm and relaxing environment to explore handbuilding, guiding us through tools and techniques to create various objects and housewares. Hayley's advanced expertise, versatility with form, and attentive teaching style offered the perfect introduction to ceramics, encouraging playfulness and experimentation. Would definitely recommend a session to anyone looking to explore a new medium :)" -sonia p.